What is the reason that I have facial hair and always want to have sex?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
The best answer here is that we’re talking about a boy who is going through puberty! But assuming we are talking about a woman, these symptoms could well mean that there is too much androgenic hormone action in the body. Androgens are hormones that promote male sexual characteristics such as facial and body hair, muscle growth and a deepening voice, among others. In most cases “androgen” means testosterone, but there are other hormones that have many of the same actions as testosterone.  

There are various conditions that cause too much androgen in a woman. The most common is polycystic ovary syndrome, which is a very frequent cause of irregular periods, infertility and symptoms of increased male hormone such as facial hair or acne. However, if there is an abnormally strong libido, other causes such as testosterone-secreting tumors of the ovaries or adrenal glands must be considered. Testosterone levels are typically much higher in these conditions. This is definitely a situation that should be evaluated by a gynecologist or endocrinologist. 

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
Should I see a doctor for my follicular adenoma thyroid nodules symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor if you experience the symptoms of follicular adenoma thyroid nod...
How does a person get multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
People get multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2) from their parents. MEN2 runs in families. It'...
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?