How is a glucagonoma treated?

The primary treatment for a glucagonoma is surgical removal, and this offers the only chance for cure. An operation involves a full exploration of the abdomen, either through a standard open incision, or with laparoscopy, or with a combination of the two techniques. The surgeon determines the extent of the tumor and is hopefully able to remove all of it. This certainly includes the portion of the pancreas that contains the tumor, and it may also include sites of metastases (spread of the tumor elsewhere), such as local lymph nodes or segments of the liver. Because most glucagonomas are located in the pancreas tail or body, a distal pancreatectomy (removal of the left side of the pancreas) is appropriate for most patients, and this might involve the removal of the spleen as well.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System Disease Treatments

How is an insulinoma treated?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
Treatment for an insulinoma usually includes surgical removal of the tumor. Because these tumors...
What are treatment options for primary hyperaldosteronism?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
The best treatment for primary hyperaldosteronism depends on the cause of the disease. Patients with...
Why should I have surgery for primary hyperparathyroidism?
The main benefit of curing primary hyperparathyroidism with a surgery (parathyroidectomy) is the pot...
How Can I Treat Hot Flashes?
How Can I Treat Hot Flashes?