How is a glucagonoma diagnosed?

A diagnosis of a glucagonoma is established with a significant elevation of glucagon levels in the blood. Other common laboratory abnormalities include elevated blood sugar and chromogranin A values, and anemia (decreased red blood cells). Symptoms of glucagonomas are often vague and may be evident for years before a diagnosis is secured. Consequently, the tumors may be relatively large (an average diameter of 4-6cm) when they are discovered.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System Disease Diagnosis

What is a saline suppression test?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
In the saline suppression test, the patient is given a salt solution through an IV, after which the ...
Should I stop my medication before a primary hyperaldosteronism test?
It is important to note that certain high blood pressure medications may interfere with the diagnost...
How are endocrine system diseases diagnosed?
Doctors are typically able to diagnose endocrine system diseases by measuring your blood levels of e...
What is a 24-hour urinary excretion of aldosterone test?
In the 24-hour urinary excretion of aldosterone test, a patient eats a high-salt diet for 5 days bef...