What is octreotide?

Octreotide is a man-made analog of (molecule similar to) the natural human hormone somatostatin. This hormone is responsible for inhibiting the secretion of several other hormones, including serotonin, insulin, glucagon, growth hormone, gastrin, secretin, motilin, vasoactive intestinal peptide and others. Since octreotide mimics this activity, it is used to treat disorders involving these hormones. It is an injectable drug used to control the symptoms associated with carcinoid and vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) secreting  tumors. It is also used to treat acromegaly, which is too much growth hormone.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...
When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...