What is mifepristone?

Mifepristone is a prescription drug that comes in tablet form. It is used to end an early pregnancy, usually before the pregnancy reaches seven weeks. It works by cutting off the hormones that control the uterus. The body will then push the fetus out from the uterus, because it does not have the hormones to sustain the pregnancy. Mifepristone can be used alone or with other hormone-type medications to end a pregnancy, specifically misoprostol. Mifepristone is also more commonly known as RU-486. It is not the same thing as "The Morning After Pill."

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

How is glucagon related to type 1 diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. This hormone elevates blood glucose levels-so it can...
What is growth hormone treatment?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Growth hormone treatment is a therapy that may help kids with growth hormone deficiency (GHD) grow t...
When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...