What are the pros and cons of the hormone therapy drug Evista?

Raloxifene, a "designer estrogen" sold under the brand name Evista, is one of these new specialized hormone drugs that selectively target specific estrogen receptors. Evista has the positive effect of strengthening bone, but it antagonizes another estrogen receptor that controls breast and uterine growth, as well as blood-vessel stability that relates to hot flashes. So taking Evista may mean that you'll have worse hot flashes and insomnia as you go through menopause.

But if you're at risk of osteoporosis, Evista may be worth considering, especially if you have a family risk of breast cancer. Discuss it with your doc.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

How effective is ospemifene?
Ospemifene relieves vaginal dryness and helps restore a healthy vaginal pH. Studies have shown it to...
What should I know before I take ospemifene?
If you have had a blood clot in the lung or leg, a heart attack, or a stroke, you should not take os...
When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...