What should I know about propylthiouracil before taking it?

Propylthiouracil (PTU) can cause life-threatening liver damage, so it is important to let your doctor know if you have a history of liver problems. Signs of liver damage include: abdominal pain over the upper right side, loss of appetite, yellow discoloration of the skin or eyes (jaundice), fatigue, brown urine and excessive itching. Propylthiouracil can also cause a decrease in white blood cells, which can make you susceptible to infections, and a low platelet count, which can lead to bleeding or spontaneous bruising. If you have a history of decreased white blood counts (leukopenia), low platelets or aplastic anemia (inability to form new blood cells), let your doctor know.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...
What should I know before I take ospemifene?
If you have had a blood clot in the lung or leg, a heart attack, or a stroke, you should not take os...
Does ospemifene interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bazedoxifene, fluconazole, raloxifene, toremifene, or an estrogen drug, ospemifene...