What should I know about Omnitrope before taking it?

You should consult with your doctor if you have a history of adrenal gland problems, diabetes, or thyroid problems. Additionally, Omnitrope (somatropin) may complicate certain allergies, especially those to alcohol, so disclose all of your known allergies to your doctor before taking Omnitrope.

You should know that if you have diabetes and are taking Omnitrope it may affect your blood sugar levels. When taking Omnitrope, you will need to get regular checkups on your blood and growth progress to ensure the growth hormone is working.

Lionel M. Bissoon, MD
Sports Medicine

Omnitrope is a brand of Human Growth Hormone (HGH). There are several things to keep in mind when taking HGH:

• Injectable HGH will suppress the brain's naturally ability to make its own Growth Hormone.
  • HGH can increase blood sugar.
  • High doses of HGH can create Carpal Tunnel line symptoms with numbness and tingling in the hands.
  • Some patients can develop pain in the knees with excessively high doses.
  • Another side effect is growth of facial bones with high doses.
  • There is a risk of infection at the injection site. Make sure you clean the site with alcohol prior to injecting and rotate the injection sites.

These side effects are rare, but it is important to be aware of these prior to starting a treatment. This drug should always be taken under a physician's supervision.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

What should I know before I take ospemifene?
If you have had a blood clot in the lung or leg, a heart attack, or a stroke, you should not take os...
Does ospemifene interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bazedoxifene, fluconazole, raloxifene, toremifene, or an estrogen drug, ospemifene...
What is growth hormone treatment?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Growth hormone treatment is a therapy that may help kids with growth hormone deficiency (GHD) grow t...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...