What should I know about nafarelin before taking it?

Before taking nafarelin, you should know that it increases the risk of osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Before taking this medication, you should provide your doctors with your complete medical history, including medical conditions and any medications or supplements you are taking. It is especially important to notify your doctors of the following medical conditions: osteoporosis, ovarian cancer, ovarian cysts or tumors, chronic rhinitis, depression.

Nafarelin has been classified by the FDA as a pregnancy category X drug. Studies have shown that the medication causes harm to a fetus, and the risk of birth defects outweighs the benefits for its use during pregnancy. To avoid becoming pregnant, be sure to use a reliable form of non-hormonal birth control while taking the medication. If you are pregnant, tell your doctor before taking nafarelin. Because it is not known whether nafarelin passes through breast milk, you should talk with your doctor about potential risks to your baby before breastfeeding while on the medication.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...
How effective is ospemifene?
Ospemifene relieves vaginal dryness and helps restore a healthy vaginal pH. Studies have shown it to...
What should I know before I take ospemifene?
If you have had a blood clot in the lung or leg, a heart attack, or a stroke, you should not take os...