What should I know about Elaprase before receiving it?

Elaprase is used to treat Hunter's syndrome. While it improves the physical ability of people with Hunter's syndrome, it does not cure the disease.

While receiving the medicine through intravenous (IV) infusion, some people may experience dizziness, lightheadedness, hives, seizures, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat due to an allergic reaction to the drug. Sometimes these reactions are life-threatening, so people should be watched closely for up to 24 hours after receiving the drug. People who experience mild reaction symptoms can still receive subsequent infusions of Elaprase with additional pre-treatment. Lung diseases such as asthma may increase the risk of reactions to Elaprase.

People receiving Elaprase may need to be listed on a registry to track the progression of their disease and the effects of their treatment.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

What should I know before I take ospemifene?
If you have had a blood clot in the lung or leg, a heart attack, or a stroke, you should not take os...
Does ospemifene have any side effects?
Side effects may include hot flashes, vaginal discharge, muscle spasms, and excessive sweating.  Os...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...