Can I take potassium iodide if I am pregnant?

If you are pregnant and think you were exposed to radioactive materials, you should call your doctor before taking potassium iodide. It has been determined that it crosses the placenta in amounts sufficient enough to affect a growing fetus. Prolonged use during pregnancy is not advised, however, potassium iodide has been used short term. Potassium iodide is also found to be excreted into breast milk. Talk to your doctor about your treatment options and how potassium iodide can protect you and your baby.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...
How effective is ospemifene?
Ospemifene relieves vaginal dryness and helps restore a healthy vaginal pH. Studies have shown it to...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...
Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...