What are the effects of social networking on self esteem?

According to a report from The Center for Eating Disorders at Sheppard Pratt in Baltimore, daily social networking may be harmful to self esteem. When 600 Facebook users ages 16 to 40 were asked a series of questions, the answers pointed to some interesting insights:
  • 51% felt more self conscious about their appearance (body and face) after seeing photos posted online
  • 32% felt sad when they compared their photos to friends' online photos
  • 44% wished they had their friend’s body when they looked at photos online
  • 37% said they needed to change something about their body when looking at friends' photos online
  • Only 25% were happy with their body
Within this group of survey participants, some had also been tempted to engage in disordered eating behaviors because of their Facebook perceptions. With photos now living on line 24/7, susceptible individuals are at risk of developing body image issues and eating disorders. Parents and friends need to be vigilant and quickly intervene when they suspect beginning signs of depression, anxiety or an eating disorder in someone they know.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Feeling Nostalgic? It's Good for You!
Feeling Nostalgic? It's Good for You!
Ahh, the past. That place we like to look whenever we think the present just doesn't quite measure up. But looking back once in a while may actually ...
Why should I keep an I-hate list?
Whether you work for a company or your family, I bet that you live and die by the list. Doesn't matt...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
How Can I Get Out of a Bad Mood?
How Can I Get Out of a Bad Mood?