How can I tell if I am resisting my feelings?

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine
Often, when we are trying to stop our feelings, we will tighten our jaw, cross our arms and legs, and stop our breathing. When you notice that any of this is happening, simply remind yourself to breathe, uncross your arms and legs (and remember to keep them open), and let your jaw go slack. Resisting a feeling is like trying to stop a cloud because you want it to be sunny again. Letting the cloud pass is how we get back to a brighter state of mind.

Three Steps to Happiness! Healing Through Joy

Happiness is our natural state of being. It is who we are. This happiness is obvious when you look at little children before they take on society’s beliefs. Their natural state is to feel all of...

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Is Talking to Yourself Healthy?
Is Talking to Yourself Healthy?
If you find yourself chattering out loud, you’re not alone. This is a fairly common practice known as external self-talk. It’s possible people talk to...
What areas of the brain influence anxiety?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Following are the regions of the brain that influence anxiety:Amygdala. The amygdala stores memories...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
What Is the Importance of Spending Time with Myself?