What is the importance of spending time with myself?

Taking care of - and making time for - yourself is imperative; having your own needs met first means that you can then be there for everyone else. Watch psychotherapist Tiffanie Davis Henry, PhD, explain why spending time with yourself is key.

Gretchen M. Bosacker, MD
Family Medicine

It's important to spend quality time with yourself, to stay true to who you are and what's most important to you. Watch as family physician Gretchen Phillips, MD, explains why taking "me" time is so crucial, and how you can make it happen every day.

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine

One of the most important people for you to be with is yourself! We often forget to make “self-time.” Hundreds of years ago, before light bulbs were developed, sleep often lasted twelve hours a day beginning with when it became dark. People would usually fall asleep for a few hours and then wake up for two hours before going back to sleep. This time was spent in lovemaking or for being with one’s self. It was a time to explore dreams, feelings, and generally reconnect with one’s self. This self-time is very precious. When it comes to self-time, be sure you “pay yourself first.”

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Seeing Green: How to Break Free From Jealousy
In this day and age, it’s no wonder jealousy is everywhere—and we’re not just talking about spousal jealousy. It is easier than ever to scroll through...
How can my unconscious mind's protection hurt me?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Ironically, though, the unconscious mind’s principal emotional or psychological survival strategy ca...
8 Signs of Emotional Balance and Well-Being
8 Signs of Emotional Balance and Well-Being8 Signs of Emotional Balance and Well-Being8 Signs of Emotional Balance and Well-Being8 Signs of Emotional Balance and Well-Being
Try these simple skills to give your well-being a boost.
How Can I Calm Down When I'm Angry?
How Can I Calm Down When I'm Angry?