What is the importance of spending time with myself?

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine

One of the most important people for you to be with is yourself! We often forget to make “self-time.” Hundreds of years ago, before light bulbs were developed, sleep often lasted twelve hours a day beginning with when it became dark. People would usually fall asleep for a few hours and then wake up for two hours before going back to sleep. This time was spent in lovemaking or for being with one’s self. It was a time to explore dreams, feelings, and generally reconnect with one’s self. This self-time is very precious. When it comes to self-time, be sure you “pay yourself first.”

Gretchen M. Bosacker, MD
Family Medicine

It's important to spend quality time with yourself, to stay true to who you are and what's most important to you. Watch as family physician Gretchen Phillips, MD, explains why taking "me" time is so crucial, and how you can make it happen every day.

Taking care of - and making time for - yourself is imperative; having your own needs met first means that you can then be there for everyone else. Watch psychotherapist Tiffanie Davis Henry, PhD, explain why spending time with yourself is key.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Should You Say “Yes” to Happy Hour?
Should You Say “Yes” to Happy Hour?
A glass of wine and good conversation can ease your tension after a long day. But if you’re undecided about joining friends for happy hour, consider t...
How serious are emotional health problems?
Emotional-health-related problems range from mild to severe. In many cases, poor emotional health is...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
How Can I Stop Worrying?
How Can I Stop Worrying?