What is the importance of spending time with myself?

Taking care of - and making time for - yourself is imperative; having your own needs met first means that you can then be there for everyone else. Watch psychotherapist Tiffanie Davis Henry, PhD, explain why spending time with yourself is key.

Gretchen M. Bosacker, MD
Family Medicine

It's important to spend quality time with yourself, to stay true to who you are and what's most important to you. Watch as family physician Gretchen Phillips, MD, explains why taking "me" time is so crucial, and how you can make it happen every day.

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine

One of the most important people for you to be with is yourself! We often forget to make “self-time.” Hundreds of years ago, before light bulbs were developed, sleep often lasted twelve hours a day beginning with when it became dark. People would usually fall asleep for a few hours and then wake up for two hours before going back to sleep. This time was spent in lovemaking or for being with one’s self. It was a time to explore dreams, feelings, and generally reconnect with one’s self. This self-time is very precious. When it comes to self-time, be sure you “pay yourself first.”

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Emotional Health

How well you handle stress, anger, relationships, work, family life-it all factors into your emotional health. Finding balance in life-as well as peace of mind-helps us cope with life's ups and downs. Take time to explore new ways ...

to find stress relief, and to release anxiety, and unhappiness. Counseling can help-as can a gratitude journal.