Why are hugs important to my emotional health?

The ability that physical feelings have to transmit emotional feelings is incredible. Judith Goldberg, a licensed marriage and family counselor from Manhattan, shared: "I was talking with a mother and her fifteen-year-old daughter recently.  I asked the mother if her daughter loved her, and she replied, 'Oh, certainly.'  Then, I asked the teenager if she felt that her mother loved her, to which she replied, 'No, she doesn't.'  The mother was shocked with her statement and said, 'I tell you I love you everyday.'  The teen responded, 'But you never hug me . . . '"

Virginia Satir, a seminal theorist, researcher and clinician with families, said that unless we get about a dozen hugs a day we risk having our spirit die. Satir claims we need four hugs a day for survival, eight for maintenance, and twelve for growth.
Miracle Touch: A Complete Guide to Hands-On Therapies That Have the Amazing Ability to Heal

Discover the Healing Power of Human TouchCurious about the benefits of touch therapy? Interest in hands-on therapies has skyrocketed, and even conventional physicians now embrace these treatments as...
Dr. Peter Bongiorno, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Being present with people you care about and having real face-to-face interaction is very healthy for your body. Hugging has been shown to boost psychological well-being. Social community will increase immune function: research reveals that the more social circles a person has, the stronger their immune system can be. For instance, social communities like book clubs, church activity and being involved with a play can increase natural killer cell activity. Natural killer cells help fight cancer in your body.

And it seems in the age of cyber social circles, the less face-to-face contact people have, the more narrow their arteries become. The fewer hugs and less direct contact people have, the less oxytocin they release. Oxytocin is a hormone that can prevent negative events of the heart -- so keep those hugs coming.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Egotism Vs. Ego Strength
Egotism Vs. Ego Strength
When George Harrison wrote I me mine in 1969, he was commenting on the oversized egos of Lennon and McCartney, which ended up pulling the band apart l...
How can my environment affect my behavior?
Ellen WhitehurstEllen Whitehurst
Take the holidays for example, Thanksgiving can be stressful, but by simply making a couple of physi...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
The Health Benefits of Being Single
The Health Benefits of Being Single