How can my unconscious mind's protection hurt me?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Ironically, though, the unconscious mind’s principal emotional or psychological survival strategy can be a significant cause of health problems: It suppresses the hurtful thought, belief, feeling, or emotion from coming to conscious awareness, so that we won’t have to reexperience the pain we originally felt. To offer a common example, nearly everyone grows up getting the clear message that it’s not okay to feel or express certain emotions, such as anger. If you cry out of anger or frustration as a child, an impatient parent may yell at you to “shut up!”; a teacher may make you stand in the corner; or your classmates may tease you. As these incidents are repeated over time, we learn - our unconscious mind is programmed - to suppress our anger because we don’t like to be yelled at, punished, or ridiculed; these things cause us pain. The unconscious mind also often buries our traumatic memory of the original incidents that led to the programming - in this case, with parents, teachers, and classmates - because these recollections, too, would cause us pain.

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

You Gotta Have Hope
You Gotta Have Hope
Are you a hopeful person? If not, here's a great way to put the stars back in your eyes: Make a New Year's resolution. (It's not too late!) A psychol...
How does sunlight affect my mood?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sunlight triggers our circadian rhythms, our sleep-wake cycles. When sunlight hits the optic nerve, ...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
Why We Don’t Let Go of Grudges
Why We Don’t Let Go of Grudges