Why should I prepare a disaster plan with my neighbors?

A survey showed that 53% of Americans receive disaster preparedness information by talking with neighbors, friends or family. Are you one of them? Start talking to those around you about emergency preparedness today. Don’t wait for an event to occur to introduce yourself. Meet your neighbors and discuss who will need help and how you can provide aid during an emergency.

When a disaster strikes, people are forced to communicate due to necessity. To build a stronger, more connected community, start reaching out and making those connections now. You never know when you might need a helping hand or when you may find yourself in the role of a first responder.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 411 on 911: How to Keep Calm When You Call
As six-year-old Cole Steffens’ father administered a modified Heimlich maneuver to his 17-month-old daughter Bailey, young Cole calmly called 911. He ...
How can I sanitize containers to store water for a disaster?
To sanitize containers for water storage in the event of a disaster: Wash containers with dishwas...
What do winter storm warning terms mean?
In case of a winter storm, know what winter storm warning terms mean: Winter weather advisory: ex...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.