What emergency supplies should I keep in my car in case of a winter storm?

Prepare your car with emergency supplies in case a winter storm hits.

• Cell phone; portable charger and extra batteries
  • Shovel
  • Windshield scraper
  • Battery-powered radio (and extra batteries)
  • Flashlight (and extra batteries)
  • Water
  • Snack food
  • Extra hats, coats, mittens
  • Blankets
  • Chains or rope
  • Tire chains
  • Canned compressed air with sealant (emergency tire repair)
  • Road salt and sand
  • Booster cables
  • Emergency flares
  • Bright colored flag; help signs
  • First aid kit
  • Tool kit
  • Road maps
  • Compass
  • Waterproof matches and a can (to melt snow for water)
  • Paper towels

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Wildfires Keep Raging—and They Pose Major Health Risks
For people in the path of wildfires, the most immediate concerns surround protecting their property, their loved ones and their own lives. What often ...
How can I prepare an emergency plan for a disaster if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant, it is important that you create an emergency plan to help you in the event of a...
How can I sanitize containers to store water for a disaster?
To sanitize containers for water storage in the event of a disaster: Wash containers with dishwas...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.