What unusual noises may indicate a possible emergency?

Unusual noises include:

• Screaming, moaning, yelling or calls for help 
  • Breaking glass, crashing metal or screeching tires 
  • A change in the sound made by machinery or equipment 
  • Sudden, loud noises, such as the sound of collapsing buildings or falling ladders 
  • Unusual silence

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
Tropical storms and hurricanes bring heavy rain and winds that can create damage, as well as block roads and knock out power. People with certain heal...
Why should I prepare a disaster plan with my neighbors?
A survey showed that 53% of Americans receive disaster preparedness information by talking with neig...
How can I understand the difference between weather alerts?
Knowing what various weather alerts mean is crucial when it comes to protecting yourself and your fa...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.