What unusual noises may indicate a possible emergency?

Unusual noises include:

• Screaming, moaning, yelling or calls for help 
  • Breaking glass, crashing metal or screeching tires 
  • A change in the sound made by machinery or equipment 
  • Sudden, loud noises, such as the sound of collapsing buildings or falling ladders 
  • Unusual silence

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
Uh oh. The evening news is showing ominous weather maps, the salt trucks are out and long lines are forming at the supermarket. There’s a blizzard com...
How can I store emergency food for a disaster?
If a natural or man-made disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water a...
As a teen, how can I prepare for a disaster?
It makes sense to prepare for disasters just as you might for any major event. As a teenager you can...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.