Should I ration water during a disaster?

Don't ration water, even if supplies run low. Drink the amount you need today and look for more tomorrow. Don't risk dehydration. Plan to  drink at least two quarts of water a day. If you are in a hot climate, pregnant or sick drink three to four quarts a day. Children should also drink that much.

Only drink water that is safe. Remember that untreated water can make you very sick. It may contain toxic chemicals, heavy metals and germs that cause diseases like dysentery, typhoid and hepatitis. Never drink flood water.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
Uh oh. The evening news is showing ominous weather maps, the salt trucks are out and long lines are forming at the supermarket. There’s a blizzard com...
How can I keep my home safe during winter?
Dr. Jeanne D. Johnson, MDDr. Jeanne D. Johnson, MD
Prepare your home for ice, snow and other winter conditions now by: insulating walls and attics, ...
How should I prepare for storms and severe weather?
Advance planning for thunderstorms, lightning, tornadoes and floods requires specific safety precaut...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.