How can I prepare for shelter-in-place at home?

Shelter-in-place means to take immediate shelter where you are. Take the following steps to prepare for shelter-in-place at home:

• Choose a room in advance for your shelter. The best room is one with as few windows and doors as possible. A large room, preferably with a water supply, is desirable—something like a master bedroom that is connected to a bathroom.
  • Contact your workplaces, your children's schools, nursing homes where you may have family members and your local town or city officials to find out what their plans are for shelter-in-place.
  • Find out when warning systems will be tested. When tested in your area, determine whether you can hear or see sirens and/or warning lights from your home.
  • Assemble a disaster supplies kit that includes emergency water and food supplies for your at-home shelter.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
Uh oh. The evening news is showing ominous weather maps, the salt trucks are out and long lines are forming at the supermarket. There’s a blizzard com...
As a teen, what can I do to get through a disaster okay?
As a teen, you can do a few things to get through a disaster okay: It's a good idea to take care ...
What should I do if I'm pregnant and staying in a shelter after a disaster?
If you are pregnant and staying in a shelter or place other than your home after a disaster, you nee...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.