How can I prepare for shelter-in-place at home?

Shelter-in-place means to take immediate shelter where you are. Take the following steps to prepare for shelter-in-place at home:

• Choose a room in advance for your shelter. The best room is one with as few windows and doors as possible. A large room, preferably with a water supply, is desirable—something like a master bedroom that is connected to a bathroom.
  • Contact your workplaces, your children's schools, nursing homes where you may have family members and your local town or city officials to find out what their plans are for shelter-in-place.
  • Find out when warning systems will be tested. When tested in your area, determine whether you can hear or see sirens and/or warning lights from your home.
  • Assemble a disaster supplies kit that includes emergency water and food supplies for your at-home shelter.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Wildfires Keep Raging—and They Pose Major Health Risks
For people in the path of wildfires, the most immediate concerns surround protecting their property, their loved ones and their own lives. What often ...
How can I store emergency food for a disaster?
If a natural or man-made disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water a...
How can I keep my home safe during winter?
Dr. Jeanne D. Johnson, MDDr. Jeanne D. Johnson, MD
Prepare your home for ice, snow and other winter conditions now by: insulating walls and attics, ...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.