How can I prepare for a disaster if I am pregnant?

To prepare for a disaster if you are pregnant, find out what your local community action plan is and what they recommend you do in an emergency situation. Every disaster is different and may require you to respond differently. (i.e., Do I evacuate? How should I evacuate? What is the nearest evacuation route? What if they tell me to stay at home or "shelter-in-place?")

Talk to your healthcare provider about:

• what you should do in any emergency
  • where you will get prenatal care
  • where you will deliver your baby if your hospital is closed

Many childbirth education classes cover emergency birth procedures, with special attention to local resources:

• Work with your healthcare provider to learn the signs of early labor or other indications that you may require assistance.
  • Take a class on infant and child life support, offered by the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association.
  • Have a kit of emergency supplies in your home, such as clean towels, sheets, clean scissors, sterile gloves, sanitary pads, diapers and instructions for infant-rescue breathing.

You can also do the following:

• Make a back-up plan for getting to the hospital or healthcare center.
  • Make an emergency plan.
  • Take every emergency or weather warning (e.g., tornado horn or severe weather alert) seriously. Use these alerts to test your family's emergency evacuation plan, equipment, and food and medical supplies (e.g. expiration dates).

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Emergency Kit Essentials That Aren’t Food and Water
Not everyone is as vulnerable to wildfires as residents of California, Washington and Oregon. Earthquakes don't occur nearly as often in North Dakota ...
How can I store emergency food for a disaster?
If a natural or man-made disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water a...
As a teen, what can I do to get through a disaster okay?
As a teen, you can do a few things to get through a disaster okay: It's a good idea to take care ...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.