How often should I replace emergency food supplies stored for a disaster?

While it's important to store a supply of food for emergencies, you will also need to replace your supply on a regular basis.

Within six months, use:

• Boxed potatoes
  • Dried fruit
  • Dry, crisp crackers
  • Powdered milk

Within one year, use:

• Canned soups
  • Canned fruits, fruit juices,and vegetables
  • Canned nuts
  • Jelly
  • Peanut butter
  • Ready-to-eat cereals and uncooked instant cereals

In proper containers and conditions, the following can be stored indefinitely:

• Bouillon products
  • Dried corn
  • Dry pasta
  • Instant coffee, tea and cocoa
  • White rice

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Emergency Kit Essentials That Aren’t Food and Water
Not everyone is as vulnerable to wildfires as residents of California, Washington and Oregon. Earthquakes don't occur nearly as often in North Dakota ...
Why do acts of terror have a major impact on us?
Acts of terror can have an additional impact beyond natural disasters due to the following reasons: ...
How can I keep my baby warm enough during a winter storm?
Infants less than one year old should never sleep in a cold room because (1) infants lose body heat ...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.