How common is egg allergy?

Egg allergies are one of the most common food allergies. There are over 160 different foods that are known to cause allergic reactions, but just eight foods are responsible for 90 percent of all food-related allergic reactions. Eggs are number two on the top-eight list: milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans.

Several recent studies indicate 1-2% of children have an egg allergy.  Estimation of egg allergy in the general population, including adults is 0.2-0.3%.   We used to say that egg allergy is outgrown by age 3-5 years but recent studies indicate it may take a few years longer. 

Vandana  R. Sheth
Yes, egg is one of the eight common foods identified as being responsible for 90% of all food-allergic reactions.  Egg allergy is estimated to affect ~1.5% of all young children.  However, egg allergy is also one that is often outgrown.

Yes. Eggs are one of major common foods that cause food allergies. The other seven are milk, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, soybeans, and wheat. These eight foods account for 90% of all food-allergy reactions according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Eggs are the second most common food allergy in children. Approximately 1.5% of kids have an allergy to hens eggs, although most kids will outgrow the allergy. Therefore, it is not a major allergen for adults.

Continue Learning about Egg Allergy

What foods can my child with an egg allergy eat?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
Children and adults with severe egg allergy need to read labels and avoid all egg products. This wou...
What causes an egg allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Egg allergies are caused by your immune system's overreaction to particular egg proteins. These prot...
If I have an egg allergy, what egg substitute can I use when baking?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have an egg allergy, you can use the following substitutions for eggs when baking: 1 teas...
Is an egg allergy life-threatening?
Egg allergies can be life-threatening if you have a serious reaction. Similar to other food allergie...