What happens if I tan too much?

Susan Evans
Dermatology
So what happens to someone with tanorexia? There are several problems with being obsessed with your tan, not just on a physical level but on a mental level as well. Studies indicate that people who suffer from tanorexia display the same addictive behavior as smokers or people with other addictive habits. Just as in an addiction to plastic surgery, there is no point where the person reaches a goal. It's an elusive point they strive for, with no end in sight.

If you or someone you know suffers from tanorexia, you may want to talk to your dermatologist. When someone is addicted to tanning they will continue to tan no matter how dark they already are, increasing their risk of cancer due to the prolonged exposure to the UV rays. Tanning addicts who use only spray tans are not at a physical risk but they are still dealing with an obsessive compulsive disorder.

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

Is sunlight always bad for my skin?
Sunlight is not always bad for your skin. Sunlight stimulates the skin to produce vitamin D, an ...
Why should I limit my time in the sun?
The single most damaging thing a person can do to his or her skin is spend too much time in the ...
How is UV radiation harmful to our skin?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
UV radiation comes from the sun and from tanning beds. UV radiation damages our skin and adversely a...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?