How is UV radiation harmful to our skin?

Susan Evans
Dermatology
UV radiation comes from the sun and from tanning beds. UV radiation damages our skin and adversely affects our immune system. One blistering sunburn increases your risk of developing melanoma, which is a very dangerous and lethal skin cancer. You are also 2.5 times more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma and 1.5 times more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma.

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

Is sunshine OK as long as I don’t get sunburned?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Sunshine serves a critical function in the body that sunscreen appears to inhibit -- producing vitam...
What changes can occur in the skin due to sun exposure?
With any unprotected sun exposure your skin absorbs harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation. If your ...
Why is sunblock important in extremely hot weather?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Sunblock is important in extremely hot weather because the first layer of protection on the body is ...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?