How should I protect my feet from the sun?

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
It's easy to forget your feet when you put on sunscreen, but if you're wearing sandals or going barefoot, be sure to apply sunscreen to the tops and soles of the feet as well as in between your toes. Wearing water shoes in the summer that cover your feet, rather than flip-flops or sandals that expose them, is helpful. So is avoiding sun exposure during the peak hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., when ultraviolet rays are strongest.

Continue Learning about Effect Of Sun On Skin

Does a sunlamp cause less skin damage than the sun?
Both the sun and a sunlamp send out ultraviolet (UV) rays that damage skin. Watch the animation to l...
How does sunlight damage my skin?
Ultraviolet radiation from the sun weakens those elastic collagen fibers that give skin its taut...
What are liver or age spots?
So it’s probably time to retire the name “liver spots” since these marks have nothing to do with you...
How Can I Tell If the Sun Is Damaging My Skin?