What can I eat instead of candy when I need a sweet snack?

Sharon Richter, RD
Try fresh fruit. If that does not sound satisfying, you could bake it to bring out its natural sweetness. One ounce of dark chocolate is another sweet tooth fix.
Toby Smithson

One of the best snacks to eat to help with a sweet craving is fruit. Fruit can be eaten fresh, frozen, canned, dried or juiced. The fruit itself is naturally sweet but if you want additionally sweetness to add to the plain piece of fruit, here are a couple of ideas:

• Fresh berries with whipped topping
  • Baked apple with cinnamon and sugar substitute
  • Frozen grapes
  • Fruit salad
  • Grilled fruit
  • Smoothie made with frozen or fresh fruit, milk, almond extract, and ice cubes to add thickness
Marisa Moore
You've probably heard it before but fruit really can satisfy a sweet tooth! Fruit is nature's candy. In fact, fruit that's at season's peak can taste as sweet as candy. In the summer, snack on sweet, juicy watermelon, blueberries or dark cherries. In the winter, enjoy apple slices, sweet juicy pears, persimmons and clementines. And any time of year, snack on dried mango, wild blueberries or cherries.

Other sweet options include cinnamon-sugar dusted almonds, a cup of fruity tea or hot cocoa with milk.
Replace candy with a sweet pick-me-up of pears, apples, oranges and cantaloupe. The combination prevents elevated blood sugar that could impede brain cells from firing correctly. It also provides fiber and antioxidants that help scrub plaque from brain arteries and mop up free radicals that inhibit clear thinking.
Picture of fruit

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition