How can I eat healthfully if I crave salty, fatty foods?

Not only is food powerful medicine that can heal the body, it can also accelerate your metabolism. But here’s the key: The food you choose must be dictated by your own unique metabolism. Groundbreaking research shows that just as you’re born with a specific blood or body type, you’re also blessed with a specific metabolic type. This means the same foods that keep you looking trim and beautiful could make someone else gain weight and look puffy or tired.

There are three general metabolic types: A, B, and C. Each requires a unique meal breakdown based on different amounts of protein, fats, and carbs. Of course, all of these should include an array of colorful fruits and vegetables.

If you’re a Type A, you love salty food, such as potato chips, and are also prone to anxiety. What you probably don’t realize is that frequent bouts of anxiety may actually be caused by your body’s reaction to eating salty or fatty foods. As a Type A, you also have a strong appetite, experience fatigue often, are talkative, and possess an outgoing personality.

How to Eat: As a type A, you burn proteins and fats much more efficiently than you burn carbs. The salty, fatty food cravings you experience stem from your body’s need for protein. At mealtime, your plate should be comprised mainly of protein and breakdown as following:
  • 50% protein
  • 30% fats
  • 20% carbohydrates
Choose lean cuts of protein that are dark in color such as beef, dark meat chicken or turkey, and fish such as tuna or salmon. These dark-colored foods are high in purine, a substance in the body that protects and nourishes blood vessels.

Go for dairy that contains fat. That’s right! Type As should eat whole-fat cheese, cream, 2% milk, and eggs. These items are better for you than low- or no-fat dairy products loaded with sugar. Remember, full fats are not hydrogenated or trans fats found in processed foods such as chips and cookies. Those nasty items are to be avoided no matter what your metabolic type.

Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables, but steer clear of too many refined and starchy ones. These are sugar-laden and will actually add to your anxiety. Instead of white potatoes or white bread, reach for whole grains such as oatmeal and whole-wheat pasta.

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Trick Your Digestive System Into Eating Less
One of the best things you can do for your digestion and your weight is to slow down the speed at which your digestive system works. Why? Because it ...
How can I tell if I am hungry?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
There are many people who eat just for the sake of eating. During emotional times in our lives, food...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
Pay With Cash, Eat Less Junk Food
Pay With Cash, Eat Less Junk Food