How can I eat healthy snacks?

John Preston, PsyD
Are your snacks healthy choices, such as fruit, vegetables, or unbuttered popcorn? If not, try heading to the grocery store with a list of your favorite fruits, vegetables, and other healthy choices. When you return from the store, toss out most (all might be too hard to do at once) of the unhealthy choices that are in your cupboards. One trick is to keep fruit in the office refrigerator or your desk drawer to have on hand when you feel the urge to snack at work.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...
Jessica Crandall

A good rule to remember when choosing snacks is to pair healthy carbohydrates with protein to maintain a stable blood sugar between meals and snacks. Some examples of healthy snacks include: 

• apple with raw almonds
  • apple with peanut butter
  • baby carrots and hummus
  • whole grain crackers and reduced fat cheese
  • grapes and low fat cottage cheese

Sharine Forbes
Geriatric Medicine

The easiest way to eat healthy snacks is to purchase them and have them readily available. Also, getting rid of any and all junk food is a great way to start to eat healthy. 

I love carrots, so I buy packets of baby carrots and stock my fridge with them so whenever I get hungry, I know where to find my favorite snack. 

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition

Do Detoxes Really Work?
Do Detoxes Really Work?
With all that you read about “detoxes” and “cleanses," you’d think there must be a medical need to help rid your body of harmful toxins. But you’d be ...
What properties of food result in a sense of fullness or satiety?
Robert S. Kaufmann, MDRobert S. Kaufmann, MD
Fullness comes from the type of food. Things high in sugar have a hard time filling you up and keepi...
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making6 Mealtime Mistakes You're Probably Making
Do you clean your plate, pick the wrong sides and skimp on treats?
What Do You Eat When You Go Out for Lunch?