How can I eat healthy snacks?

Sharine Forbes
Geriatric Medicine

The easiest way to eat healthy snacks is to purchase them and have them readily available. Also, getting rid of any and all junk food is a great way to start to eat healthy. 

I love carrots, so I buy packets of baby carrots and stock my fridge with them so whenever I get hungry, I know where to find my favorite snack. 

Jessica Crandall

A good rule to remember when choosing snacks is to pair healthy carbohydrates with protein to maintain a stable blood sugar between meals and snacks. Some examples of healthy snacks include: 

• apple with raw almonds
  • apple with peanut butter
  • baby carrots and hummus
  • whole grain crackers and reduced fat cheese
  • grapes and low fat cottage cheese

John Preston, PsyD
Are your snacks healthy choices, such as fruit, vegetables, or unbuttered popcorn? If not, try heading to the grocery store with a list of your favorite fruits, vegetables, and other healthy choices. When you return from the store, toss out most (all might be too hard to do at once) of the unhealthy choices that are in your cupboards. One trick is to keep fruit in the office refrigerator or your desk drawer to have on hand when you feel the urge to snack at work.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Eating Habits and Nutrition