What's one of the dirtiest things a restaurant serves?

Restaurant lemons are often as dirty as the floor.

Most restaurants never wash their lemons. They stay in the box that they were shipped in until they end up on your plate. In an independent test, I discovered five out of five lemons from five different restaurants were coated with germs including mold, bacteria, staph and Candida yeast, the type found in the mouth and vagina.

Always order your lemons on the side and squeeze them into your drink or onto your plate yourself. Make sure that the juice doesn’t touch the germy lemon rind.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

3 Tips to Buy Healthy Groceries on a Budget
Sources can be hard to pinpoint. If someone asked you, “What’s the major source of junk food in the American diet,” and you answered, “Convenience sto...
What does the phrase “eat food, not too much, mostly plants” mean?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
I love and live this quote! I interpret this phrase to mean seek out whole foods that are not proces...
How can my friends influence my eating habits?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
There were two recent studies about the influence what and when and how we eat has on one anothe...
How Can I Tell If I'm a Habitual Eater?
How Can I Tell If I'm a Habitual Eater?