What's one of the dirtiest things a restaurant serves?

Restaurant lemons are often as dirty as the floor.

Most restaurants never wash their lemons. They stay in the box that they were shipped in until they end up on your plate. In an independent test, I discovered five out of five lemons from five different restaurants were coated with germs including mold, bacteria, staph and Candida yeast, the type found in the mouth and vagina.

Always order your lemons on the side and squeeze them into your drink or onto your plate yourself. Make sure that the juice doesn’t touch the germy lemon rind.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

How to Reduce Food Waste
How to Reduce Food Waste
“Just Eat It” is an award-winning 2015 documentary exploring shameful throw-away food habits. Seems most folks are wary of less-than-perfect produce, ...
Is food my friend or enemy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Food touches every aspect of our lives. Our physical health depends on it; we cannot grow, heal, or ...
Why are fruits and vegetables expensive?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Frailty and short shelf-life are among the factors that tend to make produce pricey. Spoilage ha...
Should I Be Worried About Mercury In Fish?