While dining in a French restaurant, what foods should I choose?

Marisa Moore
Mentioning French food usually conjures up thoughts of high fat sauces, rich desserts and lots of butter! However, there are many healthy options at French restaurants. 

Try these tips:
  • Start with a fresh vegetable salad with a vinaigrette dressing or steamed mussels instead of calorie- rich French onion soup as an appetizer.
  • Skip the croissants and opt for whole grain bread if it’s available or you could skip the bread altogether.
  • Opt for Bordelaise or wine-based sauces instead of high fat Hollandaise, Mornay, Béchamel or Béarnaise ones. 
  • Choose steamed or roasted vegetables versus “au gratin” dishes.
  • Choose roasted or grilled meats, poultry and fish instead of higher fat choices like pate, duck or sausage.
  • For dessert, enjoy fresh fruit poached in wine.

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

How to Reduce Food Waste
How to Reduce Food Waste
“Just Eat It” is an award-winning 2015 documentary exploring shameful throw-away food habits. Seems most folks are wary of less-than-perfect produce, ...
Who is responsible for keeping mall food courts sanitary and safe?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
The local health department is responsible for inspecting mall food courts, but they may only inspec...
What are some health concerns to be aware of when I eat at a food court?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
Some health concerns to be aware of at a food court include the cleanliness of the dining tables, tr...
What Are the Important Things in a Menu?