How has the typical American diet changed with time?

American diets have changed over the years in a number of ways. Preservatives and other food stabilizers have been added to increase shelf life of commercially prepared products. Carbohydrates and sugars are consumed in much higher proportions, and a great deal of salt is added to prepared foods. Highly processed foods tend to contain more fats as well. Those Americans who prepare their own meals from fresh, raw ingredients and avoid "junk foods" have diets similar to earlier generations. 

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

The Inconvenience of Convenience Foods
The Inconvenience of Convenience Foods
Did you fill up your tank and your stomach at the same stop? “Sure. It’s convenient,” you say. Well, since there are more than 151,000 convenience sto...
How can I eat the local cuisine in a foreign country without getting sick?
Tempted to indulge in the local cuisine? Food can be the best or the worst part of your internationa...
Is high school cafeteria food good for me?
Stefanie Sacks, MSStefanie Sacks, MS
School foodservice is hopefully going to see a healthy Federal overhaul. By and large, what we see i...
Eating Fish Several Times a Week Lowers Stroke Risk by a Third