What are the different parts of the throat?

Abie H. Mendelsohn, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
There are two major parts of the throat: the pharynx and the larynx. The pharynx can be thought of as the upper part of the throat, specifically the tonsils. The back part of the tongue comprises the upper part of the pharynx as well. The larynx, or the voice box, comprises the epiglottis, which is a normal flap of tissue that covers and protects the voice box during swallowing. The vocal folds are also a very critical part of the voice box.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

7 Ways to Treat a Sinus Infection
7 Ways to Treat a Sinus Infection
Your head is throbbing, especially around your eyes. You can’t stop coughing, and for some reason, your breath is terrible. Blowing your nose is a mes...
What causes protruding ears?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Protruding ears are one of the most common abnormalities at birth. No statistics are available t...
Can the human voice shatter glass?
The human voice is very powerful, but enough to shatter glass? Find out as Dr. Oz and scientist Bill...
What Can I Do to Treat Acid Reflux?
What Can I Do to Treat Acid Reflux?