How can I relieve stuffiness when flying?

Chewing gum or making a yawning motion in the throat can "clear" the ears, which will help reduce pressure in the sinuses. If you are having some congestion before a flight, it might be a good idea to take an over-the-counter decongestant that contains phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine. Take the medicine about half an hour before takeoff. Depending on the length of your flight you may be able to take a second dose before landing.
Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
Over-the-counter products such as nose sprays like Afrin can help relieve a stuffy head, nose, or ears if you need to fly. Make sure to put it in ziplock bag for security, but then use it when you are seated on the plane to reduce ear discomfort upon takeoff. Gum, mints, or any beverage will help clear your ears as well.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Sinusitis Is Nothing to Sniff At
Sinusitis Is Nothing to Sniff At
Among the world’s billions of people, Israeli researchers claim there are only 14 types of noses! Albert Einstein’s “fleshy nose” is the most common—a...
What are the white bumps that form on my tonsils?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
The white bumps that form on your tonsils are considered tonsil stones. They can be bacteria, debris...
What is the aerodigestive tract?
The aerodigestive tract is the combined organs and tissues of the respiratory tract and the upper pa...
Can Acid Reflux Lead to Cancer?
Can Acid Reflux Lead to Cancer?