How can I protect myself from noise in the workplace?

David M. Vernick, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
If you're exposed to loud noise on the job, you're entitled to certain protections from your employer. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which has the power under the federal government to regulate noise in the workplace, states that workers should not be exposed to constant noise above 90 dB for longer than eight hours. Companies with work areas that exceed this standard are required by law to have hearing-conservation programs that accomplish the following:
  • Identify work areas with potentially hazardous noise levels.
  • Take steps to control this noise.
  • Schedule regular hearing screening tests for employees.
  • Require employees to wear earplugs, earmuffs, or similar ear-protection devices.
  • Educate workers on the dangers of loud noise.
  • Make sure workers with hearing loss get the proper care to help prevent further hearing damage.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Eight Ways to Save Your Hearing
Eight Ways to Save Your Hearing
Can’t hear the TV, a quiet conversation, or your best friend on the phone? You’re not alone. Up to 52% of adults over age 50 may have hearing loss -- ...
How can I keep my ears healthy?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
You can keep your ears healthy by not instrumenting your ear and avoiding prolonged noise exposure. ...
Can the human voice shatter glass?
The human voice is very powerful, but enough to shatter glass? Find out as Dr. Oz and scientist Bill...
What Foods Are the Worst Triggers for Acid Reflux?