How does the normal ear work?

Eric E. Smouha, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)

Sound waves enter the ear canal and vibrate the ear drum (tympanic membrane). Those vibrations are carried through the three small bones of the middle ear - the hammer (malleus), the anvil (incus), and the stirrup (stapes). The stirrup passes the vibrations to the inner ear fluids within the cochlea. Fluid waves travel through two-and-a-half turns of the cochlea, bending the cochlear hair cells as it passes.

The cochlea has an array of hair cells, and each hair cell is tuned to a certain frequency, like the keys on a piano. The hair cells are the spark plugs of the inner ear, and when stimulated by incoming sound, they initiate a signal within their corresponding nerve ending that is then sent to the brain where the sound is recognized.

Continue Learning about Ear, Nose and Throat

Eight Ways to Save Your Hearing
Eight Ways to Save Your Hearing
Can’t hear the TV, a quiet conversation, or your best friend on the phone? You’re not alone. Up to 52% of adults over age 50 may have hearing loss -- ...
What is the aerodigestive tract?
The aerodigestive tract is the combined organs and tissues of the respiratory tract and the upper pa...
What is rhinology?
Satish Govindaraj, MDSatish Govindaraj, MD
Rhinology is a subspecialty of ear, nose and throat. In this video, Satish Govindaraj, MD is directo...
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?
Can Big Earrings Hurt My Ears?