What are treatments for earaches due to water in the ear?

When it comes to treating earaches due to water in the ear, there are a few things that you can try to safely dry it out:
  • Gently shake your head to expel water trapped in your ear after swimming or showering.
  • Use a hair dryer set on low to dry out the ear canal. Hold the dryer 10 to 12 inches away from the ear and aim the warm air into the ear canal.
  • Put 1 to 2 drops of rubbing alcohol into the ear to help the water evaporate.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is otology?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Otology is the field of medicine that includes problems of the ears, hearing and balance. Neurotolog...
What is an ear infection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
An ear infection happens when the inside of your ear gets stuffy, just like your nose. Your ear can ...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?