What are the risks of a middle ear infection (otitis media)?

David M. Vernick, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Infections in and around the ear can cause conductive hearing loss. A middle ear infection, or otitis media, is the most common cause of hearing loss in children, although adults sometimes get it, too. Such an infection is accompanied by a buildup of fluid in the middle ear, which hinders sound waves from passing through. The hearing loss is usually temporary, but it can be permanent if infections are recurrent and aren't treated properly.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How is an ear infection treated?
Clark JensenClark Jensen
To help treat ear infections: Get plenty of rest.Take any medicine your doctor prescribes. Most of...
How does fluid build-up lead to acute otitis media?
The part of the ear that gets blocked by fluid is called the eustachian (you-STAY-shun) tube, which ...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?