What is swimmer's ear (otitis externa)?

Otitis externa, more commonly known as swimmer's ear, is an infection of the ear and/or outer ear canal. It can cause the ear to itch or become red and swollen so that touching of or pressure on the ear is very painful. There may also be pus that drains from the ear. Antibiotics are usually needed to treat otitis externa.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

how does earwax affect ear disorders ?
Earwax, known as cerumen, plays a role in protecting the ear canal and keeping it clean. But for som...
how does aging affect ear disorders ?
As we age, we become more susceptible to various ear disorders. Hearing impairment increases with ag...
what is the treatment for a cholesteatoma ?
Surgery is almost always necessary to treat cholesteatoma. During the surgical procedure, the cyst i...
can my child benefit from pe tubes ?
can my child benefit from pe tubes ?