What causes cholesteatoma?

It seems that cholesteatoma is related to the eustachian tube and problems with how it works. This tube is responsible for opening and closing in order to create equal pressure within the ear. When it malfunctions, it causes a vacuum in the tube, which pulls in the eardrum and creates a sack of skin that becomes trapped in the ear and creates a cyst.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is microtia?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Microtia can be defined as a lack of development of the ear (auricle). This is a congenital deformit...
What is an acute otitis media ear infection?
Acute otitis media is a painful ear inflammation of the middle ear. It affects mostly children and i...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?