Is there a vaccine for bacterial ear infections?

Bacterial ear infections can be caused by a number of underlying bacterial or viral infections in the body, so no vaccine exists that can completely prevent all sources of bacterial ear infection. The vaccine Prevnar is approved to prevent middle ear infections. This vaccine is a pneumococcal vaccine used to prevent meningitis and pneumonia, but it might also help your child stave off ear infections.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Is swimmer's ear related to bacterial ear infections?
Swimmer's ear is a type of ear infection that affects the outer ear (called the ear canal) and can b...
What are some signs and symptoms of an acute otitis media ear infection?
Some of the signs and symptoms of acute otitis media (AOM) ear infections can include: fluid drai...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?