When during a plane flight am I most likely to get barotrauma?

Barotrauma occurs primarily during ascent and descent, the periods during which altitude, and therefore pressure, is changing most rapidly. Barotrauma is actually more common during the descent than the ascent. On the way up, environmental pressure is decreasing, so air must flow out from the ear. Coming back down, pressure is increasing, so air has to come in. Flow in this direction is more difficult, and barotrauma is therefore more likely.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How is an ear infection treated?
Clark JensenClark Jensen
To help treat ear infections: Get plenty of rest.Take any medicine your doctor prescribes. Most of...
What is a glomus tumor?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
A glomus tumor is an abnormal growth of specialized cells that occure in a few areas of the body. Th...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?