How long do bacterial ear infections last?

The duration of your bacterial ear infection will depend on where the infection has occurred and how severe it is. If your infection is in either the middle or outer ear but is fairly mild, it should clear up without treatment or with antibiotics within a week or two. If your infection is in the ear canal (called swimmer's ear), you should wait at least 10 days before exposing your ears to water again. If your infection is serious or chronic or if the fluid build-up doesn't go away with the infection, you may experience symptoms for considerably longer.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is an earache?
Ear pain is generally the result of a buildup of fluid and pressure in the middle ear (the porti...
How does aging affect ear disorders?
As we age, we become more susceptible to various ear disorders. Hearing impairment increases with ag...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?