How do other illnesses affect bacterial ear infections?

When bacterial ear infections strike, it is often because an infection in the nose or throat has spread to the ear. This is particularly the case in bacterial infections of the middle ear. Colds and respiratory infections, for example, can be the source of a bacterial ear infection. If your immune system is weakened from another illness or condition, it can also increase your risk of developing ear infections.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Do ear infections require antibiotics?
When an ear infection is caused by a virus, antibiotic treatment will not help it get better. Ear in...
What are the different types of ear infections?
There are three main kinds of ear infections, which are called acute otitis (oh-TIE-tus) media (AOM)...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?