How does aging affect ear disorders?

As we age, we become more susceptible to various ear disorders. Hearing impairment increases with age, often because of a lifetime exposure to noise, illnesses, trauma, or other causes of hearing loss. Damage to the delicate structures of the inner ear can have a cumulative effect. Hair cells within the inner ear that send messages to the brain can become broken or damaged. Other structures that are associated with balance may also break down, leading to balance disorders. On the other hand, adults are much less susceptible to middle ear infections, a common affliction in toddlers and small children.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is an earache?
Ear pain is generally the result of a buildup of fluid and pressure in the middle ear (the porti...
What is an autoimmune inner ear disease?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Auto-immune inner ear disease (AIED) causes rapidly progressive hearing loss and can often be treate...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?