Do children grow out of cholesteatoma?

You've likely heard that children can outgrow frequent ear infections, so assuming they can grow out of cholesteatoma as well is not uncommon. However, cholesteatoma is a cyst that grows in the inner ear, and it can't be removed through anything but surgery. If your child has cholesteatoma, he or she will have to undergo surgery before it is removed.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Is swimmer's ear related to bacterial ear infections?
Swimmer's ear is a type of ear infection that affects the outer ear (called the ear canal) and can b...
When should I call the doctor about my child’s swimmer’s ear?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor if:The symptoms (ear pain or ear drainage) not improved in 48 hours with   ...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?