Can middle ear infections be prevented?

You can avoid the middle ear infections caused by the common cold by avoiding contact with cold viruses. Washing your hands regularly, avoiding contact with infected people, and avoiding contact with personal items of an infected person are ways you can reduce your exposure to the viruses that cause colds. In addition, breastfeeding may help prevent ear infections in infants.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is otology?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Otology is the field of medicine that includes problems of the ears, hearing and balance. Neurotolog...
Do ear infections require antibiotics?
When an ear infection is caused by a virus, antibiotic treatment will not help it get better. Ear in...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?