Do bacterial ear infections run in families?

Bacterial ear infections of the ear canal (known as swimmer's ear) happen when the ear canal is too moist or when a scratch in the canal becomes infected by bacteria. These are all environmental causes and do not relate to your family history. Bacterial ear infections of the middle ear, however, are different. Even though environmental factors also play a large part in the development of a middle ear infection, research has indicated that if a family member suffered from frequent ear infections, your own risk of getting ear infections is increased.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Are children more prone to ear disorders?
Children seem to be more prone to one type of ear disorder, ear infections. Blame simple anatomy for...
Are ear disorders serious?
Some ear disorders have the potential for long-term complications, including hearing loss and balanc...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?