What increases my risk for dystonia?

Some types of dystonia may be inherited, so if you have family members with the condition, you may be at a greater risk. Having certain disorders such as Parkinson's disease or Huntington's disease can also increase your risk. People who take certain anti-psychotic medications may develop dystonia, too.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

What do I need to know about caring for someone with dystonia?
The severe symptoms that often accompany dystonia can impact a person's ability to manage day-to-day...
How can someone with dystonia be a Patient-Active?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
If you have dystonia, there is no one way to be a Patient-Active. You decide what is best for you. B...
Is botulinum neurotoxin injection therapy safe?
It may be confusing that a treatment has the word “toxin” in its name. However, when administered by...
Can I have dystonia in my neck?
Yes, dystonia affecting the neck muscles is among the most common types of dystonia. Dystonia in the...